Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Baked Apple Custard

Inspiration often comes to me from and about some of the strangest things. Things that i'm inspired by are usually silly little things that either seem too unimportant by most people or too time consuming to be taken on by most people. Today I was inspired by my dear friend Diane Plaizier, she was telling me about the hustle and bustle of her life and her latest project: collecting egg shells with her daughter to plant seeds of grass in a month before easter, so they have pretty little budding egg shells to have for the easter baskets and decorations. Once she told me that, I spent the rest of the day thinking about how thats all I wanted to do the rest of that day. And, of course, I did it. Went to the store, got two huge cartons of eggs and started making this Baked Apple Custard as a way to use up my aging apples and my suddenly new need for egg consumption. Here's the recipe and a picture of the project:

Baked Apple Custard:
1 1/2 half cups unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup half and half
1/4 cup thawed frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Additional half and half (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Blend all ingredients together except for the nutmeg. Pour into a pie pan. Place pie pan in a baking pan and fill with water till it's cover the bottom inch of the pie pan. Sprinkle the nutmeg on top. Bake 45 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Chill. Serve with additional half and half if desired.




No comments: