Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Oat Bran

I was driving to school. The light turned from green, to yellow, to red. I stopped. The box of cereal sitting next to me tumbled to the car floor - lucky charms and all their marshmallowey goodness flew in the air, falling to the car floor, and rolled into the hidden spaces and crevices of the passenger side, where they will rest for a few months until a marshmallow decides to crawl out to give you a surprise one morning. That's when I ended my relationship with cold cereal. I realized I was using it as a dry snack to eat as I raced to school in the morning. It was a bad excuse of a breakfast. I decided that if I couldn't even spare some time for breakfast, I needed to wake up earlier and make myself a good meal. I was majoring in Health Promotion - every one of my classes talked about the importance of this very meal, yet I was ignoring it. I made the change and now life is bliss. No more boxes to worry for and no more starved mornings.

This, my friends, is Oat Bran. Do you know what it is? It's happiness in a measuring cup. It's better than oatmeal because it doesn't make a yucky slime when it sits in a bowl. And it's better for you, just look:
Nutritional Value: Oatmeal___ Oat Bran
Carbohydrates_____ 27 grams____ 25 grams
Fiber_____________4 grams_____ 6 grams
Soluble Fiber_______ 2 grams_____ 3 grams
Protein___________ 5 grams_____ 7 grams
Calcium__________ 0 %________ 2 %
Iron____________ 10 %_______ 20 %
Thiamin__________ 2 %_______ 25 %
Phosphorus________ 0 %______ 25 %
Riboflavin_________ 2 %_______ 6 %
Magnesium________ 0 %______ 20 %
Zinc______________ 0 %______ 10 %


Put 1/3 Cup in 1 Cup of boiling water.

Boil till thick.


You can add almond butter, peanut butter or whatever you like. I like to add honey


and milk. Then I eat it up cause it's real good!

1 comment:

Yomama said...

Hi and Happy Birthday! It's been a while since I wandered over, and there I was, stuffing sugary cold cereal -without milk - into my maw, when I read this. Talk about a guilt trip. I'll probably get motion sickness from the trip, and barf the cereal up now, doing me no good -- or a lot of good, depending on how you look at it!!
Anyway, I will look for oat bran. Enjoy your breakfast! Love you -
Karla