Monday, February 18, 2008

Yema (pronounced yea-ma)


If any of you like sweetened condensed milk, this post is for you. Yema is one of my favorite candies from the Philippines. They would sell it on the streets and I could never resist buying some. It's fun to make with my neices and nephews who like to call it White Rabbit since it tastes similar to another Philippino candy. The recipe is very simple:
Yema Ingredients:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
sugar

On medium heat, pour milk into a large non-stick pan (add cooking spray before if it's not a non-stick pan). Stir constantly, as it will burn easily, until it reaches hard-ball stage. If you're not sure when that is, take a small glass of cold water and pour a small amount of the milk into the cup with a spoon. If the milk stays in a ball when dropped into the milk and feels like it has a shell around it, then remove from the heat. Immediately pour milk onto a non-stick surface (I use a baking sheet). Form into balls (use a spoon to do this as it will be hot) and roll in the sugar. You can eat them now or after being chilled for a bit. They are a great way to give the kids a sugar high too since they ate half the plate of sugar before I finished making the candy!

2 comments:

Yomama said...

Hey, Beaner! What a great blog! Sure enough, I smiled and learned something on my first visit! (Oh, and I'm going to go grab a handful of sunflower seeds on my way out...)I could even hear your voice a little bit; but the fun part was thinking of you as a - nutritionist? Wowzer!
Love yer guts, Karla

Nancy said...

I love this picture of Lydia especially since I got to be there when you took it and watch you make this yummy delicacy. I really like this blog and am very proud of you. Can being a health nut rub off on your kids? DO you remember all the weird healthy stuff I tried on you kids? I just wanted my kids to be healthy!