Wednesday, February 13, 2008

FACT


"The earliest reference to salt is in The Book of Job written about 300 B.C. At one time, it was the custom to rub salt on newborn babies as a symbol of purity and to ensure their good health. Salt was once so scarce that it was used as money. Caesar's soldiers received part of their pay in common salt. This part of their pay was known as their "salarium", and from this came today's word "salary". The expression "not worth his salt" meant that a man did not earn his wages." - Contemporary Nutrition 6th edition by Wardlaw & Smith, p. 293
Now wouldn't Ceasar's soldiers think we were crazy if they found out that in the future we would be dumping their income all over our roads, driveways and sidewalks in the winter to melt the snow!

2 comments:

Shauna Dennis said...

I didn't know salt was used as wages. That's interesting. Maybe I should start paying with salt. Will you do the dishes if I pay you with salt? :)

Shannon said...

I was driving home with my husband the other day and I mentioned the fact about using salt as money as I saw all of the salt covered roads and cars in this wintry climate. We had to laugh at the thought. Thanks for the enlightenment, you are a walking encyclopedia!