Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sunflower Seeds

Sunflower Seeds are great. They contain vitamins B-6, Thiamin and Folate. These vitamins each have important functions including releasing energy from carbohydrates, proteins and fat - giving you the energy you need from them, and decreases depression, meaning you are happier; helps your immunity, affects your nerve function - helping you think quicker and sleep better (something to keep in mind during finals or stressful situations), and if you are thinking about becoming pregnant or are pregnant they help with DNA synthesis decreasing the risk of your child being born with spina bifida and other neural tube defects (future fathers, it is also important for you to have enough of these vitamins to contribute to your babies health). Don't you agree - sunflowers seeds are an EASY way to be healthy!
Quick and easy ways to eat Sunflower Seeds are to grab a handful, put them in trail mix, or top your salad with them. I mixed almond butter with equal parts of honey and vinegar for the dressing - had I been grocery shopping lately it would have been great with cut apples or cranberries - but I guess you have to make do with what you have. Now it's your turn to help others out: how do you like to eat your sunflower seeds?

4 comments:

Shauna said...

Hey, look. I'm the first one to comment on your blog! Anytime you want to go cook something for my family you are welcome to. My mom would love you forever. Or maybe you could just go cook with her and get her excited about cooking. It's always more fun for me when I'm cooking with you.

Tyson said...

I like to eat my sunflower seeds with a coke in the morning afternoon or evening. I find the Dill Pickle flavor satisfying as well as the salt and pepper. I also really like bread that has them.

Alisa F. said...

I'm going to buy some sunflower seeds. What else should I buy Serena? Tell me more! This is cool!

Alycia said...

hmm - good thing Tyson's eating them to counter act the coke in the morning!! I'm addicted to sunflower seeds - I could eat them all day if I could!!