Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Molten Chocolate Cake

Molten Chocolate Cake is my favorite recipe. As a health educator, I've learned that it is important to enjoy your diet and that is why I include this recipe - how can I not enjoy CHOCOLATE. I tried to look for some good information about the health benefits to justify eating chocolate in this form but I was not very successful (obviously), but I did find some really interesting information on this website: http://www.allchocolate.com/health/nutrition/ and it spoke very highly of the antioxidants, minerals, and fats in dark chocolate and cocoa. So I guess I can't help you justify any kind of health benefit by eating these cakes, but I guarantee that you will have the benefit of happy tastebuds.

Ingredients:
4 squares semi-sweet baking chocolate (Baker’s brand)
½ cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
6 Tbsp. flour

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter 4 (3/4-cup) custard cups or soufflé dishes. Place on baking sheet. Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on high 1 minute or until butter is melted. Stir with wire whisk until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in sugar until well blended. Whisk in eggs and egg yolks. Stir in flour. Divide batter between prepared custard cups. Bake 13 to 14 minutes or until sides are firm but centers are soft. Let stand 1 minute. Carefully run small knife around cakes to loosen. Invert cakes onto dessert dishes. Serve immediately. Can be topped with whipped cream or powered sugar, raspberries or candy canes. This cake forms a pudding in the middle.

I show this picture because I normally don't take the cakes out of the ramekins I bake them in. I like to serve them in the ramekins and pile a nice big blob of Vanilla Bean Ice-Cream on them. Too bad I don't have any today. Ramekins are fairly inexpensive to buy if you don't have any of your own. I got mine two-for-a-dollar at Target, I just wish I had bought more since I can't find them there anymore.

3 comments:

Shauna Dennis said...

Hmmm. These look good. And they tasted good when I ate one for dinner last night. I don't feel bad about eating it for dinner now that I know chocolate is good for me. :) I did eat some potato casserole for dessert as well.

Shannon said...

Yum. I can't wait to try this, it looks so tasty! Have you ever used anything besides all-purpose flour in the cake? Do you think it would work with wheat flour? I use half white/wheat a lot. Do you do your own photography of the food on your blog? It looks so professional. I love the concept of your new blog. I'll be checking back regularly for sure.

Serena said...

i have never tried to use wheat flour with this, i'm assuming it will be a heavier cake if so and would need to add something to make it not so heavy, but I'm not sure what - I'll let you know if I find something out. Thanks for your compliment too, they are my pictures so that I dont feel like I'm stealing from somebody else.