Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Onion Straws/Rings/Fingers/Shoelaces - whatever you want to call them

This post is dedicated to the moments in life when you just can't get enough fat and grease in your diet (to quote from Steel Magnolias). Today was my day for that :) I'm surprised there were any left to even take this picture - my roommate and I made these today and couldn't stop eating them. We'd put them in the oil, take them out, and put more in. When those were ready to come out there weren't any left from the batch before. You marinate the onions in buttermilk for at least an hour or two before you fry them up (as for me, I marinated them for two days - a little unnecessary, but oh so good). Here's the recipe:

PW’s Onion Straws
1 to 2 large onions
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 scant tablespoon salt
Lots of black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Canola Oil

Slice the onions very thin (you should be able to see the knife through the onion as you are slicing). Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk for at least one hour. Don't worry if they aren't completely submerged in it, but be sure they are coated. Next add flour to a bowl, add a scant of salt (which is just a little less than a tablespoon), then add your pepper - add a lot of pepper - don't restrain yourself. Next add the cayenne pepper - this is the ingredient that makes it taste so great - so don't be scared to add it - you won't even feel the burn with this amount. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown. Repeat until onions are gone. Eat before your family sees them. Repeat with another onion, because they’ll be really mad they didn’t get any.

1 comment:

The Hiller Family said...

I think I just fell in love with you! Gosh, come to my house already! I'll provide all the grease you want!