Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pork Tenderloin with Honey and Peaches

I hopped on my bike monday afternoon to leave work and head to the library. I've been meaning to read a book called No Impact Man by Colin Bevan. I watched the documentary and fell for it...I connected with the message and have already been living my life in a lot of the ways that were mentioned in the movie, but wanted to dig deeper and really see how Colin did things. He is a man who wanted to make no impact to the earth or environment for a year. It might sound boring and another "going green" thing, but I am totally and completely interested in it. Needless to say, I was very excited to find out my library had a copy of the book. I peddled my little heart out to get there, thinking it would be gone by the time I arrived...I just like to assume it's a raging hit with everyone. I put it in my backpack and pedaled home, with just as much speed...(believe me, it wasn't very fast...I'm a wimp on the bike). I got home, planning on ignoring dinner all together. I would simply read the entire night away. BUT....that didn't happen. Yes, I did read for several hours, but I went to go grab a glass of water and caught a waft of the peaches I'd gotten from the food co-op and they were getting old fast. The book disappeared right then and there....all from the smell of peaches. I can't help it. I don't know what my problem is, but the second I realize something needs to be used, my brain automatically starts rolling...playing connect the dots with all the other ingredients I have in the kitchen...mixing them together in my mind until I've figured out the perfect dish! Sometimes I make the dish up....other times I resort to Google. Google lead me to this recipe and before I knew what I got myself into, I was eating Pork Tenderloins with Honey and Peaches along with Cornbread on the side. Here are the recipes:

Pork Tenderloins with Honey and Peaches (from http://www.cooks.com/)

4 med. sized peaches
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. salad oil
1/2 tsp. salt
Honey
4 pork loin, blade, rib, or sirloin chops, each 1 inch thick
Parsley sprigs for garnish

About 45 minutes before serving: Peel, pit, and chop 2 peaches. Peel, halve, and pit remaining 2 peaches; set aside.

In 1 quart saucepan over medium high heat, heat chopped peaches, mustard, salad oil, salt, and 2 tablespoons honey to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove cover and cook 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.

Preheat broiler if manufacturer directs. Arrange pork chops and peach halves, cut side down, on rack in broiling pan. Spoon half of cooked peach mixture over pork chops; brush peach halves with some honey.

Place pan in broiler at closest position to source of heat; broil 10 minutes. Turn pork chops and peach halves; spoon remaining peach mixture over pork chops and brush cut sides of peaches with honey. Broil 8 minutes longer or until chops are fork tender.

With pancake turner, remove broiled peaches to cutting board. Cut peach halves into fans; starting close to stem end, cut each peach half lengthwise into 7 or 8 thin slices. Spread slices to form open fan, being careful to keep peach halves intact.

Arrange pork chops and peach fans on platter; garnish with parsley sprigs. Makes 4 main dish servings.

Cornbread
¼ cups Plus 2 Tablespoons Shortening
1 cup Yellow Corn Meal
½ cups All-purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Buttermilk
½ cups Milk
1 whole Egg
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
½ teaspoons Baking Soda

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat shortening in an iron skillet, muffin pan, or other baking pan. Combine corn meal, flour, and salt in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, milk, and egg. Add baking powder and baking soda. Stir. Add ¼ cup melted shortening, stirring constantly. Pour into hot pan, smoothing surface with spatula. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.

No comments: