Monday, January 31, 2011

Tyson's Dang Tasty Soup

This is a recipe shared by my brother-in-law Tyson! He spend two years living in Mexico and while there fell in love....with Cilantro! This is a very easy recipe, if you are the nervous type in the kitchen, it will help you to know that your years of mastering how to open a can will have paid off, leaving you confidently capable of making this soup. If you are looking for a cilantro style soup that provides a little more adventure than opening cans, I'd recommend giving this recipe a whirl...and then inviting me over to share a bowl so I can try it :).



Tyson's Dang Tasty Soup

2 Cans (13 oz each) chicken, not drained (or 2 whole chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
4 minced garlic cloves
1 to 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 (14.5 cans each) Chicken Broth
2 (14.5 Cans each) Diced Tomatoes (preferably with cilantro and lime)
1 Cup Salsa
1 Bunch chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp Cumin
1/2 an onion (optional)

In a large pot, saute the garlic and onions in olive oil until semi-clear. Add the remaining ingredients. Heat through. That's it! So simple.

Can garnish with lime juice, avocados, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, or better yet queso fresco!

Enjoy!

As a side note, this recipe was a bit of an experiment for me in the mysterious world of Yoders canned meats...I've heard from different sources they even have fried bacon that's been canned...I'm not sure how my tummy feels about that. But if you are looking for a preservative free line of canned meats, Yoders is who you should contact! My next experiment will be with this can of already cooked hamburger meat in my Borscht Soup (my valentines tradition)...I'm hoping it is as surprisingly great as the chicken I used in this soup.

No comments: